Monday 23 May 2011

My fírst Competition 2011

Season 2011 has officially started for me with a quick 5km run, organised by the local fire brigade (http://www.berufsfeuerwehr.at/). Jonas, my fellow Sione Rider, signed me up, of course without my knowledge and approval. I found that out on the evening on the day before after a hard bike ride, at least Jonas also had a hard training week as well. Well, you gotta do what you gotta do. Up in the morning, a full breakfast and coffee. I was so full, I was about to lose my breakfast literally on the bike ride to Jonas. A quick warm up, let the time pass and off we go and as usual to fast: Started off with a 3:30min/km pace and felt like stepping it up a notch. It just felt great but then out of nowhere, I was empty. The legs were great, no trouble there, but my chest started hurting and breathing was a pain. So that meant 3km through pain... go for it. Keep with the group and do not break away, was all what I thought. Through the turn at 2.5km and back again, just keep it together. My pace broke down to 4:15min/km. I had to get back on track and so I just bit down and tried to gain some and pick up the pace again, firm my position and brought it home. 8th place (18:17min) and Jonas with a great 14th position (19:11min). The third Sione Rider was Alexander Nussbaumer who is just out of our league with 36:06min on 10km and a 3rd position in his age group - congratulation.
All in all, great start of the season and right in between our normal training.
Well it is not over. We got our beloved bikes and around the Wörthersee which was closed for cars today. Miriam (Sione Rider number 4) joined us and she is a great cyclist, she can keep up, no problem. Back home, quick transition and into the running shoes again.
A great day sports fans!

No comments: